Fire Incidents: A Basement Grease Fire, Downed Wires and Minor Flooding
The following information from Sept. 4 to Sept. 10 was provided by the Lexington Fire Department.
Fire Incidents by the Numbers
121 Total calls for service
23 EMS calls excluding motor vehicle accidents
14 EMS calls with no duty or patient refusal
12 Unintentional alarm activations
4 Medical/EMS rescues
2 Motor vehicle accidents requiring basic life support
2 Motor vehicle accidents with advanced life support
2 Cooking fires with no extension
1 Water problem
1 Smoke, odor removal
1 Mutual aid cover/standby
1 Smoke scare
1 Barbecue/tar kettle incident
1 Malicious/mischievous false alarm
1 Mutual aid medical/rescue
1 ALS request from another time
1 Hazardous condition aid (with no fire)
1 Overheated motor
1 Power line down
1 Arcing/shorted electrical equipment
1 Service call mutual aid
Fire Incident Reports
Tuesday, Sept. 4
10:07 a.m. – Firefighters responded to a sprinkler alarm activation on Concord Avenue.
4:03 p.m. – Burnt popcorn led to a smoke condition and alarm activation on Locke Lane.
7:02 p.m. – A York Street resident reported an odor of burning inside the home, in the area of a past electrical fire. The house was checked with a thermal imager and firefighters stood by until NStar showed up to check their previous repairs.
Wednesday, Sept. 5
10:14 a.m. – Firefighters responded to a possible transformer explosion that resulted in a tree down across the wires in the area of Concord Avenue and Barberry Road.
11:13 a.m. – Firefighters responded to a reported cooking fire on Gould Road and found an all-out grease fire had ignited on an industrial stove in the cellar, but was put out by the owner. There was some smoke damage to the kitchen and basement walls, as well as smoke throughout the house, according to the incident report.
Saturday, Sept. 8
11:55 a.m. – A water problem was reported on Banks Avenue, reportedly caused by heavy rains the previous night flooding a basement utility room with less than an inch of water. Firefighters confirmed it was not a hazard to the boiler or washer and dryer.
12:03 p.m. – Firefighters responded to a report of wires arcing on tree limbs on Middleby Road by the Bridge School.