Fire Incidents: July 17 to July 23
The Lexington Fire Department responded to a car fire, overheated elevator and an electrical fire extinguished by a garden hose, among other calls, over the past week.
Fire Incidents by the Numbers
117 Total calls for service
38 EMS calls excluding motor vehicle accidents
14 Unintentional or malfunctioning alarm activations
7 EMS calls with no duty/patient refusal
4 Mutual aid medical/rescues
3 Patient assists without transport
3 Motor vehicle accidents requiring basic life support
2 Gas leaks
2 Overheated motors
2 Mutual aid covers
2 Motor vehicle accidents with no duty/patient refusal
1 Passenger vehicle fire
1 Medical EMS rescue for a motor vehicle accident
1 Service call for mutual aid
1 Assist police or other agency
1 Non-medical public assist
1 Dispatch cancelled while en route
Fire Incident Reports
Tuesday, July 17
10:39 a.m. – Firefighters responded to a possible gas leak on Waltham Street and found a crew excavating for a new water main had broken house service for a residence, but there did not appear to be an active leak and the house checked OK on the meter.
Wednesday, July 18
3:57 p.m. – Companies were called to Spring Street for a possible house fire and arrived to find a woman in the front yard watering her flowers. According to the incident report, the woman told firefighters she noticed flames shooting up from the base of the front wall of the house, so she walked over and put out the fire using her garden hose. Firefighters checked the rest of the house for extension, using thermal imaging, and notified the electrical inspector.
Friday, July 20
7:09 a.m. – State Police reported a vehicle on fire near the travel plaza off Marrett Road. According to the incident report, the driver pulled into the rest area after smelling something overheating and then a few minutes later saw fire coming through the windshield. A passerby used a dry chemical fire extinguisher to put out the fire and the engine company that responded to the scene used a pressurized water can to overhaul the rest, the report said.
1:36 p.m. – Companies were called to Mass Ave for an alarm activation, but the alarm was triggered by a malfunctioning smoke detector.
Monday, July 23
2:35 p.m. – Firefighters responded to an alarm activation at the TD Banknorth on Mass Ave that was caused by an overheated elevator motor.