Five Things You Need to Know Today: Aug. 28
School starts, school committee, tomatoes and more today in Lexington.
1. First Day of School: The first full day's not until tomorrow, but Lexington Public Schools students start their 2012-2013 school year today. For a full schedule of start and release times, check out the district website.
2. Farmers Market Tomato Festival: This afternoon marks the 8th annual Tomato Festival at the Lexington Farmers Market, which features a "sassy, spicy, virgin Bloody Mary" from the beverage team from aloft and element hotel, Gazpacho soup, tomato jam and more treats -- for as long as they last after the opening bell at 2 p.m. Click on the PDF to your left for the full description.
3. School Committee Meets Tonight: The Lexington School Committee meets at 7:30 p.m. tonight at Cary Hall and its agenda includes reports from the superintendent on the opening of school, the new director of food service, Kevin Silvia, and an update on the Bridge and Bowman and Estabrook school building renovation projects and a transportation report.
4. Like Us on Facebook: For even more information and engagement, like Lexington Patch on Facebook. Over there, we'll be asking questions, looking for feedback and continuing the conversation with the Lexington community. See you soon!
5. Looks Like Rain: Showers, and possibly thunderstorms are in the forecast early, and then scattered showers and a high of 82, according to the National Weather Service, which predicts a mostly clear evening and a low of 56.