With Fall quickly approaching, many people are prepping their motorcycles for leaf peeping adventures. After all, there’s just a few more months before us New Englanders need to put our bikes in storage for winter. As you’re gearing up to hit the road, be sure to talk to your agent about these cost-saving tips for your Massachusetts motorcycle insurance policy from the Insurance Information Institute:
- Some companies offer 10 to 15 percent discounts on motorcycle insurance policies for riders who have completed a training course. Higher risk riders, especially riders under 25 and cyclists who have had an accident, should consider taking this class. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) rider course is one to look into.
- Avoiding violations and accidents will help to keep your premium down.
- During the winter, consider a “lay-up” policy, which suspends all coverage except comprehensive during the winter months when you’re not riding.
- Insurance companies offer discounts such as multi-bike discounts, motorcycle association discounts, and mature rider discounts. Qualifications and availability vary by company and state, but these discounts are typically between 10 and 20 percent.
- Type, style and age of your bike, in addition to the amount of miles you ride and where you store your bike affect your yearly premium.
To find out if any of these discounts apply to you, talk to your insurance agent. These days, every little bit helps!