Invite a friend
Lexington Community Education presents: The Truth About Girls and Boys: Challenging Toxic Stereotypes About our Children
An evening with Caryl Rivers and Rosalind C. Barnett
In their book, The Truth About Girls and Boys Caryl Rivers and Rosalind C. Barnett tackle a new, troubling trend in the theorizing about gender: that the learning styles, brain development, motivation, cognitive and spatial abilities, and "natural" inclinations of boys and girls are so different, they require completely different styles of parenting and education. Ignoring the science that challenges these claims, those who promote such theories make millions, frightening parents and educators into enforcing old stereotypes and reviving unhealthy attitudes in the classroom.
Rivers and Barnett unmake the pseudoscientific rationale for this argument, stressing the individuality of each child and the uniqueness of his or her talents and desires. Educating parents, teachers, and general readers in the true nature of the gender game, Rivers and Barnett help future generations transform if not transcend the parameters of sexual difference.
Caryl Rivers and Rosalind C. Barnett are widely praised for their analysis of women, men, and society.
Pre-registration for this event is strongly recommended. Please register, using a VISA or MasterCard, by contacting Lexington Community Education at 781 862 8043.
More About Lexington High School
Serving a student body of nearly 2,000, Lexington High School is housed on a sprawling modern campus at the intersection of Waltham Street and Worthen Road.
Natalie K. Cohen serves as the school's principal.
Other events here
- LHS Football Cheerleading Tryouts!!! Daily,
- Stop Motion Animation Class Weekly on Wednesdays, 4:15 pm–5:45 pm
- Video Game Design Class Weekly on Wednesdays, 6:00 pm–7:00 pm
- LHS Landscaping - Plant Sale and Garden Tour Sat, Jun 1, 9:00 am
- LHS Football Cheerleading Tryouts!!! Tue, Jun 4, 2:45 pm–4:15 pm
- Lexington Community Education presents: A Snapshot of Spain Thu, Jun 6, 6:30 pm–8:00 pm
- Decorate the LHS Field House for Graduation Party! June 7, 2013 / June 8, 2013, 1:00 pm–9:00 pm
- Spring A Cappella Jamboree Sat, Jun 8, 7:30 pm