1. School Committee to Talk Budget, Tech: The School Committee is scheduled to meet at 7:30 p.m. tonight at the and its agenda includes the superintendent’s recommended budget for fiscal 2013, a three-year technology plan and recommended system goals for the 2012-2013 school year.
2. Other Public Meetings: According to the town website, additional public meetings posted for today include the Sustainable Lexington Committee at 7 p.m. at the Town Office Building and the Conservation Commission at 7:30 p.m., also at the Town Office Building.
3. Today in High School Sports: It's all about high school hoops today. The Lexington High boys and girls varsity and junior varsity basketball squads head to Woburn for after-school and evening action, beginning with the jayvees at 3:30 p.m., with and the The boys and girls freshmen host Woburn High at 3:30 p.m.
4. On This Day in History: In 1521, Martin Luther was excommunicated by the Roman Catholic Church; in 1847, the California town of Yerba Buena was renamed San Francisco; in 1876, the first free kindergarten in the United States opened in Florence, Mass; in 1920, the New York Yankees purchased Babe Ruth from Red Sox for $125,000 and, in 1973, George Steinbrenner III purchased the New York Yankees from CBS for $12 million.
5. Could be Wintery: Should be sunny and cold today, with highs of just 26, according to the National Weather Service, which predicts a partly cloudy and cold evening with lows down in the single digits.