.

Fire Incidents: Hotel Evacuated After Duffel Bag Catches Fire

The following information, from Aug. 28 to Sept. 3, was provided by the Lexington Fire Department.

Fire Incidents by the Numbers
97 Total calls for service
31 EMS calls excluding motor vehicle accidents
16 Unintentional alarm activations
5 Motor vehicle accidents with no duty/no transport
3 EMS calls with no duty/patient refusal
2 Patient assist with no transport
2 Motor vehicle accidents requiring advanced life support
2 Smoke scare/smoke odor
2 Electrical wiring/equipment issue
1 Well being check
1 Mutual aid medical/rescue
1 ALS request from another town
1 Motor vehicle accident requiring basic life support
1 Malicious/mischievous alarm activation
1 Fuel burner/boiler issue with no extension
1 Power line down
1 Arcing/shorted electrical equipment
1 Lockout
1 Water problem
1 Public service assist

Incident Reports  

Tuesday, Aug. 28

6:03 p.m. – A caller reported hearing a loud explosion he believed to have been caused by a manhole on fire in the area of East Street and Frost Road. Responders found no ground hazard, and notified NStar to check the area.

Wednesday, Aug. 29

9:24 a.m. – Firefighters responded to a fire alarm on Bedford Street, but on arrival it didn’t appear as though the alarm was sounding.

Thursday, Aug 30

8:14 a.m. – Firefighters responded to a fuel boiler issue on Bedford Street and found black smoke showing upon arrival. The burner was shut down and the house ventilated when the homeowner arrived to take over.

Saturday, Sept. 1

9:47 p.m. – Companies were called to Heritage Drive for a report of a smoke odor in the vicinity. They searched the area and abutting streets, but no hazards were found.

11:32 p.m. – Firefighters responded to a reported building fire on Marrett Road and found a four-story hotel being evacuated for a fire in a room on the third floor. According to the incident report, a maintenance man had found smoke in the hallway and then noted a duffel bag was burning on top of an electric stove, which eh tried to extinguish. Firefighters found the bag smoldering and ventilated the area.

Sunday, Sept. 2

7:28 a.m. – Firefighters responded to the area of Bedford and Shirley streets to investigate a reported smoke odor, but found no obvious hazards in the area.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something