Winter waited a while to show its face, but the resulting slick conditions during morning and evening commutes this week caused quite a few problems around Lexington, according to police reports.
Between the start of the on-and-off snowfall on Wednesday afternoon and about 8:30 p.m. Thursday, March 1, the responded to at least 20 motor vehicle accidents, in addition to another 30-plus calls yesterday evening about vehicles stuck somewhere or unable to make it up a slippery street.
The highest concentration of calls came between 5 and about 8:30 p.m. yesterday evening, when LPD received 12 calls about motor vehicle accidents.
That’s certainly more than normal, but “could be pretty close to average” for an evening commute with weather like yesterday’s, according to Lt. James Barry, a spokesman for the department.
“The snow itself was a factor, but an even bigger factor could have been that it was warmer during the day, so the snow melted and the water was in the roadways and froze when the temperature dropped,” Barry said.
Most of the accidents were minor, according to police, and there were no reports of serious injuries. Police are investigating at least one report of a hit-and-run accident.
Here’s a list of reported accidents, including time and location, that came in after the snow started falling Wednesday afternoon:
- 1:15 p.m. – Bedford Street
- 2:34 p.m. – Bedford and Hill streets
- 7:21 a.m. – Shire Way and Spring Street
- 7:49 a.m. – Woburn and Cottage streets
- 7:59 a.m. – School Street and Eastern Avenue
- 8:12 a.m. – Clarke and Forest streets
- 9:24 a.m. – Waltham Street and Worthen
- 3:58 p.m. – Mass Ave and Minute Man Lane
- 5:06 p.m. – Mass Ave and Worthen Road
- 5:18 p.m. – East Street
- 5:22 p.m. – Waltham Street
- 5:36 p.m. – Winchester Drive
- 5:52 p.m. – Lowell Street
- 6:04 p.m. – Grant and East streets
- 6:13 p.m. – Winchester Drive
- 6:24 p.m. – Mass Ave and Percy Road
- 6:25 p.m. –Lowell Street and Peartree Drive
- 7:29 p.m. – Concord Ave and Walnut Street
- 7:38 p.m. – Concord Ave and Walnut Street
- 8:32 p.m. – Lowell and Maple streets