The and the are pleased to announce a new joint program to install smoke alarms in homes of seniors living in Lexington at no cost. The installation is scheduled for this Saturday, May 12.
Having a properly operating and maintained smoke alarm in your home reduces the chancing of being injured or dying in a fire by nearly 90 percent. However, nearly half the homes in the United States do not have smoke alarms or they are not properly maintained (missing or dead batteries for example). National statistics have shown older adults have a much higher risk of being injured or dying in a fire. Through this program we hope to reduce that risk too in homes of Lexington older adults.
“The grant is part of the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks of the U.S. program to have local Lodges impact in the community they serve,” said Christopher Cavanaugh, president of the Lexington Lodge.
If your home does not have any smoke alarms, or at least one on each level of your home – you’re encouraged to apply. Battery operated smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors will be properly located and installed in your home. However future maintenance of the smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector, including changing of the batteries annually, will be the responsibility of the homeowner.
If your home was built prior to 1975 and has or had battery operated smoke alarms – this program is for you! Please call Lt. Tremblay, Fire Prevention Inspector at (781) 862-0272 ext. 118 to apply. If the response to this request exceeds our pilot program limits you may be placed on a waiting list.
All residents are encouraged to look around your home and make sure you have smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors located on each level of your home. Press the test button either with your finger or the end of a mop handle to see if it sounds at least monthly. Change the batteries in the smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors annually. A good reminder is when we change our clocks in the spring or fall.
This information was provided by the Lexington Fire Department.