October is National Fire Prevention Month, and as such, the Lexington Fire Department is inviting local families to a Fire Safety Open House this Saturday, October 20.
With the objective of learning more about fire safety, during the open house, families will learn about fire prevention, participate in fire safety activities and enjoy free Papa Gino’s Pizza, according to a Fire Department press release.
The open house will be held at LFD's Headquarters, located at 45 Bedford St. from 1 to 3:30 p.m.
- Make an escape plan
- Install smoke detectors in every sleeping room, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home and check the batteries often
- Install fire sprinklers throughout your house
- Once you’re out, stay out! Do not re-enter a burning building
- Practice your home fire escape plan twice a year
And these tips for kids:
- Never touch matches, candles or lighters. Make sure you tell an adult immediately if you see matches or a lighter in a room.
- Don’t cook alone.
- Remind your parents to turn pot handles toward the center of the stove.
- Never stick anything in an electric socket.
- Never hang anything on a lamp, heater, or radiator.
- Always let an adult know if there is any kind of smoke or fire in your house.
- If there is a fire, get out fast.
- Once you are out of the house, call 9-1-1 immediately.
- In case of fire, develop an escape plan with your parents. Plan for two possible escape routes out of your house. Practice your escape plan with your parents several times a year.
- Stay low to the floor when escaping a fire, as smoke rises and makes it difficult to see.