The paper chase for town office in Lexington began last month and, while a couple of candidates have emerged, the resignation of a Town Meeting member has opened up an additional spot for the March 4 Town Elections.
to seek one of two open seats on the Board of Selectmen. And Deb Mauger, the current selectmen chairwoman, has indicated she will seek re-election. Selectman George Burnell is expected to retire from the board.
The aforementioned resignation was of a Town Meeting member from Precinct 3. It was received Dec. 28, before the deadline for setting the ballot, bringing the total number of Town Meeting positions on the ballot to 69, according to an email from Town Clerk Donna Hooper.
Speaking of deadlines …
The deadline for incumbent Town Meeting members to indicate their intent to seek re-election without having to secure signatures is 5 p.m. next Monday, Jan. 7, according to Hooper, and the deadline for new candidates to pull papers for any office is 5 p.m. next Friday, Jan. 11.
Candidates for major office must collect signatures from at least 50 registered voters, while candidates for Town Meeting must obtain valid signatures from at least 10 voters from their precinct, according to an announcement from the Lexington Town Clerk’s Office.
To view the full election calendar for 2013, click on the PDF posted above.
As of Dec. 28, of the possible 63 incumbents, the Town Clerk’s office had received a total of 40 replies, 35 of which were seeking re-election and five indicating they would not. As well, seven resident voters had taken out nomination papers to run for Town Meeting, Hooper wrote in an email.
According to the Town Clerk’s Offices on the ballot include:
- Selectmen – Two for two three-year terms
- Moderator – One for a one-year term
- School Committee – Two for three-year terms
- Planning Board – One for a three-year term
And Town Meeting seats up for grabs include:
- Precinct 1 – Seven for three years
- Precinct 2 – Seven for three years, 1 for two years and 1 for one year
- Precinct 3 – Eight for 3 years
- Precinct 4 – Seven for three years
- Precinct 5 – Seven for three years, One for one year
- Precinct 6 – Seven for three years, One for two years and one for one year
- Precinct 7 – Seven for three years
- Precinct 8 – Seven for three years
- Precinct 9 – Seven for three years