With the New Year upon us, here are my top 10 suggestions for Lexington residents to get involved, stay informed or simple enjoy our wonderful community:
- Visit www.lexingtonma.gov, the town’s website, for a wealth of information about your town government.
- Visit the . There are many fabulous programs there every week.
- Sign up for any of our e-government subscriptions at http://www.egovlink.com/lexington/subscriptions/subscribe.asp to receive timely emails on everything from road closures to parades and other events in town.
- Register on notification system http://www.lexingtonma.gov/%5Cpolice%5Ccodered.cfm . You can add your cell phone, work phone and email addresses to provide multiple ways to receive emergency information from the town’s public safety departments.
- Mark you calendar next July to enroll in Lexington’s Citizens Academy that will begin in September (9 two-hour sessions).
- Volunteer on a town board, committee or ‘Friends’ group. One person can make a difference.
- Watch Lexington’s Government Channel on LexMedia, RCN Channel 15, Comcast Channel 10 and Verizon Channel 37 or see a meeting you are interested in by going to the On Demand section of LexMedia’s website www.lexmedia.org.
- Attend a night of Town Meeting and bring your children. More than ever, we need young people to think about a career in public service.
- Take a walk on Town Conservation land. One of my favorites is , which is 170 acres and 2 miles of trails.
- Get out of your car one day a month and ride or walk on the or hop on to get around town (fares are $1.50, $.75 for seniors).
- (Bonus: Take the Liberty Ride during its June-October season. You don’t really know about the events of April 19, 1775 until you have )
My best to all in 2012. Thank you for your ongoing support.