Drag box to select area
Operated by the Lexington Historical Society, the Munroe Tavern is located one mile east of Lexington Common on Massachusetts Avenue. Built around 1695, the tavern is named after William Munroe, orderly sergeant of Captain Parker's minuteman company in 1775. Munroe served as tavern proprietor from 1770 to 1827. Many family articles from this period are on display in the tavern, including an eighteenth century tavern sign and a fine wooden tricorn hat box dating from the Revolutionary period. President Washington dined at the Munroe Tavern when he visited the Lexington battlefield in 1789. An upstairs room contains the table at which Washington sat and the documents related to his trip.
P.O. Box 514, Lexington, MA 02420
- Hours: April - June 15, Sat, Sun, noon - 4pm. June 15 - October, Daily, noon - 4pm
- Hours: By appointment