Friday, May 10, 2013
The two-alarm fire Monday night caused thousands in structural damage, according to fire officials.
Shortly before 9 p.m. on Monday, May 6, the Lexington Fire Department responded to a report of a garage fire on Seaborn Place. Upon the LFD response, there was smoke and fire showing from the rear of a detached garage close to a residential condominium building. According to Assistant Fire Chief Ken Tremblay, the single-story wood frame that belonged to three different condo owners, and the only access to the interior was through wooden garage doors. Firefighters had to use chainsaws to cut through those doors, a delay that may have allowed fire and smoke conditions that, along with the proximity to occupied buildings, led to the striking of a second alarm. Once firefighters got inside the building, they found heavy smoke and fire …
Monday, May 6, 2013
Blaze had reportedly engulfed a three-car garage.
According to public safety officials, the two-alarm fire at Seaborn Place has been knocked down.The blaze had at one point engulfed a three-bay garage at the condominium complex, causing the evacuation of nearby housing units. Originally posted at 9:30 p.m. Firefighters in Lexington are responding Monday night to a two-alarm fire that has reportedly engulfed a three-bay garage at Seaborn Place. According to Lexington Police Lt. Chris Barry, the fire, as of 9:20 p.m. Monday, was in a detached garage in a condominium complex on Seaborn Place, off East Street in Lexington. Some nearby buildings had been evacuated inside the complex, but no injuries were reported, Barry said. Reports on social media said flames were through the roof of the …
Wednesday, April 3, 2013
Fire Department offers online permitting for brush burning.
- POLICE & FIRE
Wednesday, April 3
The following information was provided by the Lexington Fire Department. The Lexington Fire Department reminds residents the open burning season, which started on Jan. 15 will end on May 1, with several restrictions that must followed. A permit must be applied for at Lexington Fire Department Headquarters located 45 Bedford Street before any burning can take place. Permits are issued daily during normal business hours and there is no charge. As well, a new online permitting system has been created to now allow residents to apply for brush burning permits online. Using the Town of Lexington website, www.lexingtonma.gov, go to either “Online Services” or the “Fire Department” sections and click on the labeled link. There is no fee for this …
Friday, March 22, 2013
In a virtual world with virtual emergencies, real firefighters make real decisions in real time.
Crack goes the radio. A dozen-or-so firefighters are at attention. They are from Lexington, Belmont, Acton and a handful of other area departments, all of them here for a different kind of mutual aid. That is, the words being spoken are incidental to their mission. On this day, both incident and urgency are manufactured. The firefighters are sitting at computer stations lining a trailer parked behind the Lexington Fire Department’s headquarters on Bedford Street. Through their headsets come the calls: An apartment complex with smoke showing on the second floor, or a tractor-trailer overturned on Rte. 128. In this case, it’s a multi-family on Marrett Road. The scene plays out across computer screens, each of them offering a different …
Tuesday, February 12, 2013
The Lexington Fire Department reminds us of the dangers of carbon monoxide and how snow accumulation outside can result in dangerous conditions inside a home.
The following information was provided by the Lexington Fire Department. The Lexington Fire Department responded to seven calls during the stormy weekend all related to blocked or partially blocked heating system exhausts resulting in the build-up of deadly carbon monoxide gas within the home. We are urging all residents to evaluate the type of heating equipment in their home and how it exhausts out of the house. Typically most gas and oil-fired equipment exhaust into a chimney, which is usually not an issue. However, newer-type gas and oil-fired equipment allow for exhaust through the side wall of your home. It is this type of heating system installation that is affected by large snow fall amounts or blowing and drifting snow. Please be …
Monday, January 14, 2013
Other than that it begins tomorrow, Jan. 15.
The following information was provided by the Lexington Fire Department. The Lexington Fire Department reminds residents the Open Burning Season begins Jan. 15 and runs through May 1, with several restrictions that must followed. A permit must be applied for at Lexington Fire Department Headquarters located 45 Bedford Street before any burning can take place. Permits are issued daily during normal business hours and there is no charge. A new online permitting system has been created to now allow residents to apply for brush burning permits online. Using the town of Lexington website, www.lexingtonma.gov, go to either “Online Services” or the “Fire Department” sections and click on the labeled link. There is no fee for this required permit…
Thursday, January 3, 2013
The fire was in the garage's ceiling, according to reports.
Arlington and Lexington firefighters were called to Mal's Service Center in Arlington Heights at about 10:40 a.m. this morning for a report of a fire, according to multiple reports, including @MiddlesexRadio on Twitter. Once there, crews found that there was a fire in the ceiling, according to the reports. An Arlington ladder truck was used, and firefighters eventually could be seen on the garage's roof (photo), according to @MiddlesexRadio. Two ambulances were called to the scene to treat two patients, @MiddlesexRadio relayed from the police scanner. The Lexington units had left the scene by about 11:20 a.m. Mal's Service Center is at 1540 Mass. Ave. near the Arlington-Lexington town line. Check back for updates as they become available…
Wednesday, December 19, 2012
Four members of the Lexington Fire Department were promoted to the rank of lieutenant during a ceremony held Monday, Dec. 17 at Cary Hall.
Edward Bolle, Robert Croke, Christopher ord and Scott Morency of the Lexington Fire Department were promoted to the rank of lieutenant during a ceremony held Monday, Dec. 17 at Cary Hall. Their promotions will let LFD to staff a ladder truck with company officers, giving more responsibilities to that position, Lexington Fire Chief John Wilson said in announcing the promotions. "This is a great day in our fire department," said Wilson. "We're taking a step forward in our department." Watch Chief John Wilson congratulate the Lexington Fire Department's four new lieutenants. Wilson said the promotions are something LFD has been trying to accomplish for a number of years, and was recommended in a recent report. All four of the new …
Saturday, November 3, 2012
The following information was provided by the Lexington Fire Department.
On Sunday, Nov. 3, the Lexington Fire Department wants to remind residents to change the batteries in their smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors as part of the Change Your Clock – Change Your Battery. Nonworking smoke alarms rob residents of the protective benefits of these life safety devices. The most commonly cited cause of nonworking smoke alarms are worn or missing batteries. Changing smoke and carbon monoxide batteries at least once a year is one of the simplest, most effective ways to reduce these tragic deaths and injuries. In fact, working smoke alarms nearly cut in half the risk of dying in a home fire. Additionally, it is recommended to replace your smoke alarms every ten years. The “Change Your Clock-Change Your Battery…
Tuesday, October 16, 2012
In recognition of Fire Prevention Month, the open house will include fire prevention information and fire safety activities.
October is National Fire Prevention Month, and as such, the Lexington Fire Department is inviting local families to a Fire Safety Open House this Saturday, October 20. With the objective of learning more about fire safety, during the open house, families will learn about fire prevention, participate in fire safety activities and enjoy free Papa Gino’s Pizza, according to a Fire Department press release. The open house will be held at LFD's Headquarters, located at 45 Bedford St. from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Earlier this month, during National Fire Prevention Week, the National Fire Sprinkler Association (NFSA) provided the following fire safety tips for families: And these tips for kids: